List:       kde-devel
Subject:    The HEAD branch now requires a new QT
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-10-09 18:39:34

Since canossa requires some stuff that isn't in Qt 2.0.x (namely
the wonderful QAction, and some other stuff), KDE now needs
a recent Qt.
But to prevent the problems we had when we were dependent
on Qt's CVS a while ago, the following has been decided :
* until further notice, we'll stick with the current version
(that is 09/10/1999)
* the classes that will probably change very often, since they are
not compiled by Qt's Makefiles, have been put in kdelibs/kdecore/qk,
and libqk is automatically linked when linking kdecore. This temporary
measure will allow to benefit from fixes in those classes without having
to update the Qt CVS too often.

When compiling Qt, a special care has to be taken :
cp qt/src/emoc/* qt/src/moc
in order to use emoc instead of the standard Qt moc

Then make clean and recompile the whole Qt.

Sorry for the trouble, but it's really worth the effort.
Hopefully we won't have to switch to another Qt in the near future.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org