List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KRootProp still kills kded
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-10-01 0:26:59

Is this still giving you grief Rik? Do you have any code (KOffice, Konqueror?)
that calls KdedIntance sucessfully? I noticed on the KOffice mailing list some
apps required being started with -kdedlocal to work right, are there different
ways to start up kded? Can you try starting a "local" version of kded rather
than the "default" kind. (There appears to be some documentation in
kded_instance.h on this). At least if this works it would suggest things are
only "a little bit wrong".

I guess XInterAtom is relying on some precondition that is not being satisfied,
pretty slack of it to just curl up and die (Not very helpful comment I know). At
least it is dying consistenly in there. Maybe you could play around with
calling XInternAtom in your code (at various points before the call to
KdedInstance), or in just a trivial application, can you get XInterAtom to
work at all? If so when does it stop working? Maybe something is happening that
is fouling things up and causing XInterAtom to die.

Currently my priority queue is pretty full but I should be able to compile
this code and try it out by Sunday, my time. For a change I have very fresh and
fully operational compiles of all the corba stuff working at the moment, (mico,
kdelibs, kdebase, and koffice all compiled with minimal fuss, and they are
running well, I'm shocked!)

Maybe someone more in the know than me can help out.

PS. Bad time to fry your memory.

BFN,
Don.