List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Just a (stupid) question about KDesktop and it's heritage
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-09-29 7:19:09

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 12:40:52AM +0100, Jens Bäckman wrote:
> This will probably seem extremely stupid and annoying to all of you who
> haven't used an OOUI in your entire life. Just curious.
>
> Why isn't KDesktop based on a subclass like KFolder? After all, the
> desktop is just another folder with a little extra functionality. Doing
> something like this, each and every folder could have their own
> settings (background, bitmaps, view mode, RMB menu entries, titlebar
> color and font etc) like all good objects should.

Well, kdesktop isn't a normal folder though :
* it can have one background per "virtual desktop",
* the RMB menu on the background is NOT the same as
the one for a folder (because people want a lot more there)
* there is no titlebar !!

libkonq provides common functionality for kdesktop and konqueror,
so the behaviour for all the common parts (RMB menus on items,
moving icons [when that's fixed], ...) is really shared, which is
what's the most important.
A konqueror view isn't a "kfolder" [ which doesn't exist ] either.
So kdesktop and a konqueror view are very similar in shape.

I'm not sure I see what you suggest. Please elaborate...

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org