List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Changes in kapp
From:       Espen Sand <espensa () online ! no>
Date:       1999-09-19 11:10:57

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Dirk A. Mueller wrote:
> Espen Sand <espensa@online.no> wrote:
>
> > Usage: "setCaption(kapp->makeStdCaption(caption))" . In my view it is
> > not the application programmer that should decide the layout of the
> > caption.
>
> I generally agree. But what will happen with all that programs out
> there that don't use that function?

Then they are not compliant with the KDE-2 standard ;)

> and what happens with non-KDE programs?
>
> It's a good idea, but the implementation will break consistency, as the
> user can't be absolutely sure that every app he uses will use the
> caption style he prefers.
>

> Therefore imho it's a bad idea to implement it this way. I suggest
> putting support for it into kwm (to where it belongs imho, as this is
> the windowmanager). That way every app will adopt the user setting
> automatically.

I can not disagree with this if the app programmer then can just say
"setCaption( captionWithNoAppName )". Some issues:

1. Can the application name be detected from kwm? How? One cannot use
kapp since the app does not have to be a kde-app.
2. What if a dialog does not want to display the application name
(for some odd/unlikely reason)
3. Who can modify kwm and when? I know nothing about kwm. As it is today, almost
every caption combination is used. BAD! I have a solution that can rectify some
of it. It is not perfect but I have the code ready.

The longer we wait, more and more KDE-2 stuff will be done with appName in
the caption. I really don't want to wait. My method can be used as an
intermediate solution. Anyway makeStdCaption() can later be reduced to an
"empty" inlined method. So my conclusion is still that I add it !!

--
Espen Sand