Am Fre, 17 Sep 1999 schrieb Roberto Alsina: > On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Lotzi Boloni wrote: > > > > > On the other hand, calling a function without catching any possible exceptions > > > > (in the CORBA way of doing things) is also plain stupid. Catching exceptions, > > > > even when it does implie a lot of work, at least gives you a chance to > > > > gracefully respond to such errors. > > > > > > Of course one (ugly) way to do it is wait on bug reports, ask for > > > tracebacks and *then* catch the exceptions. > > > > > > I'd bet 90% of the exceptions that actually happen would get caught after > > > a few months in beta :-) > > > > One of the things you can do in those exception handlers is to bring up > > a dialog box, and enable to send a mail. A funny automatic processing > > stuff would be to count the number of exceptions per function calls and > > then disable those try-s which never sent an exception in the beta > > process. Hmm... > > I'm not too versed on exceptions, but you can have one super-outer > exception catch like this: > > try > { > app.exec(); > } > catch () ... This does not help much. I asume you put a try/catch block around the client apps (for example kword embedding kspread) app.exec() call. Now lets say the kspread component crashes, a objects becomes nil and a exception is raised. Yes, the exception is catched, but far to late, you have already left the event loop. All you can do now is to savely quit kword. -> A bug in the embedded kspread takes down kword. This does not help much. I see no other possibility than a try/catch block around every CORBA call. Greetings, Matthias -- Matthias Elter me@kde.org / me@main-echo.net KDE developer