List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: CORBA on kde-core-devel
From:       Lotzi Boloni <boloni () cs ! purdue ! edu>
Date:       1999-09-17 17:59:07

> > This is my main concern. Imagin me clicking on a URL and because konquerer
> > thinks it is very intelligent tries to load some alpha quality code in
> > order to display an image or play some unneeded sound. A shlib approach
> > would kill the complete konquerer instead os simply producing a garbage
> > picture or playing unpleasant sound.
>
> That may be true, but what do you suggest? A buggy CORBA component running in a
> seperate process is not much better as you can't try/catch every CORBA call.
> Server dies -> object is nil -> MICO exception -> main app crashes!

  I really don't understand why you can not try/catch all the CORBA calls.
Those exceptions are dropped exactly to be catchable. I know it is a pain
in the ... but we can write some macros for that.

  There is a performance penalty but I don't think that matters. Memory is
awfully cheap nowadays, processors are fast. Let's make it very solid and
fault tolerant.

  I don't know how much this counts but I vote for the networked model.

        Lotzi