List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ALWAYS FREE?
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-09-12 16:54:55

#if mao
> When I use the libraries of KDE to develop an application with the qt professional \
> edition can I release my software as commercial or shareware or do I must to \
> release it as free and open source too?

The KDE libraries are under the LGPL - Library GNU Public License.

The upshot of this is that you are of course still bound by the Qt license,
but if you have a Qt pro edition license, then you are free to charge for
your software, and to keep it 'closed source'.

A section from kdelibs/README:

  The libraries themselves have been covered (since Saturday, June 21st, 1997)
  by the GNU Library General Public License (LGPL).  Any other programs (such as
  the examples) are covered by the GNU General Public License (GPL).  All the
  gory details for the LGPL reside in COPYING.LIB, and for the GPL reside in
  COPYING.

  Various parts are also covered under a BSD style license, detailed in
  COPYING.BSD.  Currently, code covered under such license is copyrighted by
  Theo de Raadt.

Please don't take my comments completely literally - I am only stating what
is generally true - you need to abide by the terms of the various licenses
completely.

Cheers,
Rik