List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE-1.1.2: Comments on all-new Wallpapers
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       1999-09-08 2:21:11

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Mosfet wrote:

> As well as several other flames directed at people's country of origin
> by primary KDE developers and representitives. This fucking sickens
> me. Nobody was saying such things about your countries yet you all
> felt the need to totally flame the US and alienate most (everyone
> except Alex?) US people on kde-devel over a damn wallpaper. Really
> smart guys, this really helps us all out. Nobody wanted to censor KDE
> or make a anti-drug statement, hell I am a liberal democrat and I
> *have* inhaled before (although it made me light headed and I didn't
> like it). But I do recognize that some people in my country are very
> anti-drug and it can cause bad PR, which is bad for KDE. Since it was
> such a stupid and silly thing I thought it should be removed. Now
> thanks to you guys it has turned into the bashing of an entire
> country.

Here's the thing.  You *must* look at this from all sides.  When you see
all this blatantly anti-US sludge, think about where it's comming from.
America has many things against it in the eyes of the international
community, such as its generous policy of hypocracy.  You could almost
assume that Britons are annoyed since "we" split (altho I'd liken it more
to the loss of a tumor).

But then look at what America oozes.  Watch some reruns of the Real World
London (on MTV), and watch the comments that the redneck twit makes about
being proud to drink a straight up cup of coffee because he's American and
not European.

Infighting is just so common in most areas of the world, that to get your
panties in a bunch over a freakin leaf is insane.

> I thought this was an international effort.

And it still is.

> This thread, in all it silliness, has shown that there is very little
> respect for people within my native land here. If that is the case
> then fine, but I don't know what the hell myself or any other people
> from my country are doing trying to help the project. If not I think
> apologies are in order. I *never* would of attacked people's homeland
> like several prominent people have done here and it makes me sick. I
> wouldn't have posted this to a public list since usually I have more
> respect and tact than this, but since those two qualities no longer
> seem a requirement I figured that was not important anymore.

I've noticed especially with me, I don't have a huge problem with blaring
"America sucks".  When a non USA resident agrees with me, I can get
touchy.  But again, before you knot your delicates, take a step back, a
breath in and look at things again.  Most people, me included call them as
they see them, and I assume that's what the Europeans have been doing.

Face it, for better or for worse, every country has its share of stupid
laws.  For me at least, it's really hard to look at some of the drug
related laws in America and claim that they make sense.  Even harder for
me to not call them stupid.

But hey, that's the price we pay for voting a senile actor into the office
of president.  Yes massah Regan, let's use laser beams to defeat Russia
(SDI).  Yes massah Regan, let's sell crack in South Central (Iran-Contra).
Yes massah Regan.

P.S. If you're really a liberal democrat, have the conviction to stand
behind your beliefs instead of bowing into corporate America, please!

- alex