List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE-1.1.2: Comments on all-new Wallpapers
From:       "Mikael Berglund" <tmb () amiga ! pp ! se>
Date:       1999-09-06 20:27:27

In a message 06-Sep-99 19:43:58 Robert Williams <rwilliams@jrc-utah.com> wrote:

 RW> This anti-American stuff is getting out of hand guys.   No wonder the
 RW> American press keeps saying KDE is a euro product...   the anti
 RW> american is so thick in here.

I'm not a KDE-developer yet, just lurking, so i'm not speaking for KDE. So
forgive me for stepping in here at the risk of starting a flamewar (which i don't
want to).

<Entering soapbox>

[Anti-American]

Remarks of the sort as above is not anything KDE needs. Your impression of
anti-American thickness couldn't it be because non-Americans feel Americans are
so good at making other people anti-American by trying to force their views and
opinions on them?

I realize this is an inflammatory remark but it is _not_ meant as that. It's just
an observation i've made over the years. Also realize that this is _my_
observations and perception of the situation. And this 'you are anti-American'
because you don't get your will through doesn't do anything to help the situation
either.

I'm mostly pro-American but some things, like this, really gets blown out of
proportions just for a fear of not being PC, and this in _one_ single country
(albeit rather big) in the whole world. What i think the other authors remarks
with smileys et all were trying to convey was that there are worse problems in
America, and the world as a whole, to be concerned with than a wallpaper being PC.

If people have problems with an option that none forces them to use, and they can
remove at their own discretion if they feel offended, i'd say they must be the
problem not KDE. This PC-thing really makes my skin crawl.

[KDE and corporate America]

I'm maybe making the wrong assumption here but as i've understood it KDE is a
free project with people working on it out of their own free will and on their
own spare time. This and the fact that they don't get paid for KDE make me fail
to see any reason or obligation for KDE to bend their backs for potential users
if these have problems with parts of KDE. I'm sure most of the developers would
like for KDE to get all the success in the world but not if it means their
freedom to compose it as they wish gets cut down. If they agree to removing this,
what will they have to remove next? As i see it KDE is like any other free
software - of the type 'take it or leave it, or modify it to your liking'.

Because it's free i assume it's also free for any 'concerned citizen' to modify
KDE and make their own distributions as long as these modifications don't break
any KDE license.

So i fail to see the real problem. There is a solution for those concerned.

If i'm making the wrong assumptions here about KDE feel free to correct.

<Slipping down from soapbox>

Finally, the standard disclaimer: These are _my_ ramblings. Views and opinions
herein are _mine_ and _mine_ alone. Any flames should be directed to _me_.

--
  Regards TMB   If there are no Amiga in Heaven, send me to Hell!

  Homepage: http://w1.631.telia.com/~u63103905
  Remove NOSPAM, if present, from email address