List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: KDE_1_1_BRANCH: patch to suppress kpanel icon config in kcmd
From:       Duncan Haldane <f.d.m.haldane () mciworld ! com>
Date:       1999-09-03 0:58:17

On 03-Sep-99 Torsten Rahn wrote:

>> > --   Simple solution: suppress the choice of panel icon size in =
>
>> >      kcmdisplay -init style
>> >      (Settings->Desktop->Style dialog)
>> >      Only the Desktop/kfm and "other" icon sizes will be now be
>> >      configured in kcmdisplay.
>
> Sorry, I only wanted to tell you that I strongly dislike your
> =B4solution=B4.

-- Sorry for the *annoying* CAPITALIZATIONS  in my earlier posting. (Wince) :(

Well the other solution is to add the "tiny" icon option to kcmdisplay,
at least for the kpanel icons.  But this seemed to involve too
much hacking!.

All this comes from carefully reviewing and updating the kcontrol
help screens, as in that case it *IS* important that they are consistent
with the kcontrol dialogs, some of which have evolved since the help
docs were written.

Actually, the other "inconsistencies" you mention are not really there;
the duplicate desktop name button is already gone from kcmdisplay,
and the widget color doesnt clash with desktop wallpaper color!  On the
whole, KDE is now very consistent.

The panel icons really behave quite differently from the kfm icons anyway.  They
control the panel size, and the most useful choice is normal vs. tiny, as without
a very large display (or very few panel icons), the large one don't really fit on the panel.
They also change size immediately, while KDE has to be restarted for the others to
change.   IMHO its not so bad to configure them separately (and maybe move the
panel configuration from Settings->Applications->Panel to
Settings->Desktop->panel), but I see you have strong feelings on this.

I must say the new large icons for kfm etc. look *GREAT* !.

Duncan

E-Mail: Duncan  Haldane <f.d.m.haldane@mciworld.com>
Date: 02-Sep-99
Time: 20:21:30