List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE_1_1_BRANCH: 19990617 change to Emacs.ad trashes Emacs support!
From:       Duncan Haldane <f.d.m.haldane () mciworld ! com>
Date:       1999-09-02 23:09:30

Hi,

I was wondering why Emacs support (with "Apply Fonts and Colors
to non-KDE apps") has been *totally trashed* (for me) since
installing the 1.1.2 pre releases.  It worked in 1.1.1.
I just found out why....

On 19990617, Emacs.ad  in KDE_1_1_BRANCH was updated with
the cvs log comment:

   "commenting FIXED_FONT resources settings out, as many users complain
    about problems with it.  Experienced used will know how to get the old
    settings again"

IMHO this is 100% wrong: there were interminable mailing list
complaints about emacs being broken by KDE in the distant past,
all sorts of theories were being advanced on the lists
(no-one knew how to fix it) which continued until the missing FIXED_FONT
settings were included in Emacs.ad, and solved the problem.

If emacs starts up using proportional fonts on a typical text file,
(which it does with the 19990617 change) it is *useless*.

Uncommenting the FIXED_FONT settings in
$KDEDIR/share/apps/kdisplay/app-defaults/Emacs.ad
restores a working emacs with KDE colors and fonts, but I *doubt* many
users will "know how to do this"! (Its not documented anywhere, for a
start).

   What problems have been fixed by this hack of Emacs.ad?
   ****PLEASE CAN THIS BE REVERTED BFORE THE 1.1.2 RELEASE!!!****

If there is a problem, it is because the initial ~/.kderc that gets created
when a user first runs KDE doesn't initially have a
[General]
fixedFont=....
entry, until kcmdisplay -init fonts
has been used at least once to change the fixed font (change it to
something, then change it back).

The real fix is to ensure that the initial ~/.kderc that a first-time
user gets has  a valid
[General]
fixedFont= ..
entry.