List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: unreasonable access controls on mailing list :-(
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () caldera ! de>
Date:       1999-09-01 8:40:31

David Beattie wrote:

> Could you please forward this to the kde-devel mailing list for me?  I cannot
> post to the list anymore, nor unsubscribe, as you can see if you read it
> below...so I need help, and I picked on you because I've seen you contributing
> to the list quite a bit, so I know your e-mail is not getting rejected by the
> list server like mine is.
>
> Thanks,  David Beattie
> to do so from my corporate e-mail account, because our e-mail system is using
> UUCP for importing and exporting e-mail through our firewall to and from the
> outside world, and that behaviour seems to be suspicious to the access control
> rules on the listserver @kde.org.
>
> So I switched to using a web-based e-mail account-- @usa.net for my
> contribute to the list.  But now, a month later, my e-mails to the list are
> getting lost.  One was sent back with a rejection, when I sent my
> unsubscription request straight to
> kde-devel-request@max.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de, with a note "Access denied
> by the policy access functions", but everything else I send is getting
> completely ignored by the listserver system.
>
> So I'm suspecting someone has banned the @usa.net free e-mail domain from the
> listserver, without removing me from the list.  And now I am unable to
> unsubscribe.  In any case, whatever the real culprit, I seem to need help
> getting off.  But I'd also like those access control policies to be
> reconsidered, so that if I wish to contribute to the list again in the future,
> I can do so, with at least one of my accounts.  It would help greatly if the
> access control policies were made public.  Perhaps then some discussion
> regarding them could be held, also, but at least I would know what kind of
> account I need to get in order to be able to contribute to KDE.

There is no real policy. We just use public spammer databases from:

http://www.webeasy.com:8080/spam/spam_download_table
http://www.sprocket.com/Security/SpamDomains

It seems usa.net can be used too easily from spammers, so it's disabled.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Programmers, heed this: If someone starts asking you about
agricultural genomes, it's likely time to get a handler.