List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Redhat kde package config
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () caldera ! de>
Date:       1999-08-31 15:59:02

Troy Engel wrote:

> Andreas Pour wrote:
> >
> > This is required to comply with the Linux File System Standard.  Anything
> > distributed by the initial distributor (in this case RedHat) is supposed
>
> OK, we've made the distinction clear; /usr contains static shareable
> data as supplied by the base distribution, whereas /opt contains our
> static shareable data as an add-in package.  On RedHat CD, they shipped
> 1.1.1pre2 RPM files (ugh) using /usr. On the ftp.kde.org site, the RPMs
> are using /opt.  Both cases are justified 100%.
>
> Now, is KDE 1.(1.)2 considered an add-on package, or part of the
> filesystem?  Personally I'm running the ftp.kde.org RPMs of 1.1.1, even
> on my RedHat 6.0 box, thus making it an add-in package.  Ergo, the new
> RPMs we make should be /opt based, just as always. (If anyone remembers,
> I'm a big /opt proponent...)
>
> This brings about a difficulty - what are RedHat's packaging plans for
> 1.(1.)2 release? Will they do it? Will they just forget about it, and
> users rely upon the KDE team?  Will the KDE team produce /opt RPMs, then
> RedHat come out a month later with their own?
>
> I would like to encourage RedHat to forget making the RPMs, and leave it
> up to the KDE team.  The worst thing that can happen is that we have Yet
> Another Release(tm) where there are two install bases, which does
> nothing but cause headaches for the end user.  Even though all my RPMs
> (http://kde.tdyc.com) are relocateable, the average usr doesn't check a
> package before installing it to see if any care has to be taken.
> Letting the KDE team handle the packaging issues thereby justifies a
> /opt hierarchy.
>
> Does anyone have the ear of RedHat? Anyone know what they're planning?
> Whatever we do, we should work together and not against each other.
>
> -te
> PS: I have to agree with Mosfet, thousands of binaries in /usr/bin is
> just plain wrong to my anal organizational brain. My kde binaries are in
> /opt/kde/bin, right where I can find all 200 of them. Speaking of
> /usr/bin, why the hell would an organizer put both console and X
> binaries in the same location? Sigh.

Out of the same reason why girls can attend general schools? ;-)
I think, the RPMs should be done by the distributions. And if RH
does their, that's more than fine with me.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Programmers, heed this: If someone starts asking you about
agricultural genomes, it's likely time to get a handler.