List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Redhat kde package config
From:       Troy Engel <tengel () sonic ! net>
Date:       1999-08-31 15:34:48

Andreas Pour wrote:

> This is required to comply with the Linux File System Standard.  Anything
> distributed by the initial distributor (in this case RedHat) is supposed

OK, we've made the distinction clear; /usr contains static shareable
data as supplied by the base distribution, whereas /opt contains our
static shareable data as an add-in package.  On RedHat CD, they shipped
1.1.1pre2 RPM files (ugh) using /usr. On the ftp.kde.org site, the RPMs
are using /opt.  Both cases are justified 100%.

Now, is KDE 1.(1.)2 considered an add-on package, or part of the
filesystem?  Personally I'm running the ftp.kde.org RPMs of 1.1.1, even
on my RedHat 6.0 box, thus making it an add-in package.  Ergo, the new
RPMs we make should be /opt based, just as always. (If anyone remembers,
I'm a big /opt proponent...)

This brings about a difficulty - what are RedHat's packaging plans for
1.(1.)2 release? Will they do it? Will they just forget about it, and
users rely upon the KDE team?  Will the KDE team produce /opt RPMs, then
RedHat come out a month later with their own?

I would like to encourage RedHat to forget making the RPMs, and leave it
up to the KDE team.  The worst thing that can happen is that we have Yet
Another Release(tm) where there are two install bases, which does
nothing but cause headaches for the end user.  Even though all my RPMs
(http://kde.tdyc.com) are relocateable, the average usr doesn't check a
package before installing it to see if any care has to be taken.
Letting the KDE team handle the packaging issues thereby justifies a
/opt hierarchy.

Does anyone have the ear of RedHat? Anyone know what they're planning?
Whatever we do, we should work together and not against each other.

-te
PS: I have to agree with Mosfet, thousands of binaries in /usr/bin is
just plain wrong to my anal organizational brain. My kde binaries are in
/opt/kde/bin, right where I can find all 200 of them. Speaking of
/usr/bin, why the hell would an organizer put both console and X
binaries in the same location? Sigh.

--
Troy Engel
GPG KeyID: DF3D5207