List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Redhat kde package config
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       1999-08-31 14:59:35

nbecker@fred.net wrote:

>     Stephan> nbecker@fred.net wrote:
>     >>
>     >> I was really disappointed to find that RH6.0 built kde with
>     >> --prefix=/usr.  Instead of organizing kde under /opt, everything is in
>     >> /usr/bin, /usr/lib, etc.
>     >>
>     >> Incidentally, this causes kde to add -I/usr/include, which is
>     >> dangerous on platforms using gcc where gcc is not the native compiler.
>     >>
>     >> In any case, has there been any discussion of this choice with the kde
>     >> devel community?
>
>     Stephan> Well - I do it the same. And as RH6.0's native compiler is gcc I don't
>     Stephan> see the problem. And I can only hope that each distribution follows
>     Stephan> the FHS soon as it makes my live so much easier :-)
>
> I don't have a copy of FHS in front of me, but IIRC it calls for a
> really *large* package, like kde, to not be dumped into /usr/....  Am
> I wrong?

Well, not quite :-).  According to FHS (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-4.html),
the reference to "large" is as follows:

    No large software packages should use a direct subdirectory under
    the /usr hierarchy. An exception is made for the X Window System
    because of considerable precedent and widely-accepted practice.

Regards,

Andreas Pour