List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Unisys, GIFs and KDE-1.1.2 :is it too late to gif2png all the gifs?
From:       Alexander Feigl <Alexander.Feigl () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-08-30 6:50:15

Hello!

Am Mon, 30 Aug 1999 schrieb Duncan Haldane:
> With the recent renewed fuss about Unisys Corps' much more aggressive
> position on GIF usage (see ESR's article on /. today) and the new claims
> posted on Unisys' web site (USD5000 for a license to serve
> GIFS you cannot prove were produced with a Unsisys-licensed
> program on your Web Site, or else ...),

Maybe I should think about replacing .GIF at my homepage with .png images. kfm
should be able to display it, isn't it? But I'm afraid netscape (without
plugins) cannot do that. So converting on web pages is a problem. :(

> maybe the decision to leave KDE-1.1.x with included GIF components, and
> only clean up 2.0, should be revisited.

I would prefer .png too. But I'm afraid it is too late now.  I wonder why
Uni$ys makes such a fuss about some images. Has Billy bought Uni$ys? :)

> What exactly would it take to convert all gifs supplied with KDE-1.1.2
> into PNG format, and alter the code to use the png's.
> At least have no gif files included in the distribution?

Converting files in the distribution should be no real problem. A reviewed
search & replace should do it.  But we would have to test it. Would be great if
we could do that but I'm afraid we can not. How many QT 1.x based releases will
follow after "Kolor"?

> Does anyone know What position  Caldera, Suse, Mandrake, RedHat etc. who distribute
> KDE in the US in their distributions, take on the latest Unisys
> claims?  Are these claims  a threat to KDE distributors?

Might be possible that these distributiors drop GIF support from their
distributions. (compile QT 1.44 without gif support - which is standard
anyway).

--
Alexander Feigl       E-Mail   : Alexander.Feigl@gmx.de
Burachstraße 51       Homepage : http://members.tripod.com/~lonely_dreamer