List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Trivial 1.2 things
From:       John Corey <whoop () mtco ! com>
Date:       1999-08-29 4:21:29

Everything's working quite well, except or a few things.  Kdebase has
some references to "large" directories (kappfinder/pics/large was one)
and doc/kthememgr that didn't exist.  Removing those from configure.in
and the SUBDIRS= line from Makefile.ams cured it.  I take it those are
just waiting for their icons to be committed?

There were a couple typos I noticed.  The title for the graphics dir of
non-kde apps is "Graphica" instead of Graphics.  And ksirc's intro
dialog has "Dissmiss" for the button, instead of Dismiss.

Hmm, I just stopped by http://securityportal.com (saw it on Freshmeat).
On the left is supposed to be a frame with a menu of areas around the
site.  The frame's source is listed as "/leftmenu.cgi".  Now, you pull
that file, and I guess the server figures you can't do javascript so it
refers you to "leftmenu_plan.html" (without a leading /).  So, KFM went
into a loop requesting "/leftmenu.cgi/leftmenu_plan.html", then
"/leftmenu.cgi/leftmenu_plan.html/leftmenu_plan.html", and so on.  It
doesn't do it forever, but the URL box fills up with many, many
/leftmenu_plan.html's.  Ah, the server eventually says access forbidden
on the URI, perhaps it is longer than what Apache accepts for a URI to
stop buffer overflows.

I just tried the same thing in Konq, and it tries to get
"/leftmenu.cgileftmenu_plan.html", which fails with a 404 error, so it
quits immediately.  But I'm sure users would want the site menu in that
frame.  Sure the site should do things right, but what's the take on
these sort of content provider errors in KFM/Konq?  Do we make millions
of workarounds for every goofy thing, or just stick to the real
HTML/HTTP specs?