List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Bus error?
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-08-28 3:49:59

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Bo Thorsen wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Amaury JACQUOT wrote:
>
> > A bus error happens on "smart" processors...
> > usually, it means you have a dangling pointer (like dereferencing a NULL
> > pointer) somewhere in your program...
>
> No, that results in segfaults. Bus errors come when you try to address
> something which should be aligned (word, longword, short etc) but isn't.
> E.g. calling a function placed on an odd memory address etc.
>
> The most times I have experienced this I just had to do a `make clean
> all`, since it happens when you move your data and functions in an object.
> If so, this shows you your dependency checking in the makefiles is not
> working correctly.
>
> I expect there to be tons of other ways to produce bus errors, but the
> times where I have been able to find the reasons, it was always as the one
> described above.

No, that was not it :-(
Well, I managed to trade the bus error for a memory leak, that's good
enough for tonight ;-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Not mad, but bound more than a madman is (Romeo and Juliet, Act I Scene II)