List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE 1.1.2 - release will be delayed!
From:       Torsten Rahn <rahn () astrophysik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       1999-08-23 15:54:45

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, you wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Torsten Rahn wrote:
>
> > Due to the fact that the artist-team hasnīt finished the work on
> > beautifying KDE yet the release of KDE  1.1.2 will be delayed by
> > one week.
> As you obviously could not wait for my answer regarding the
> new release shedule, we will have to discuss it here :-)

I didn't want to wait 3.5 days again like I did with your last mail
concerning the same topic  :-) That would have been wednesday ..
too close to the deadline .... sorry ...
As this topic is quite important I decided to inform people ASAP
about  the current situation. And several developers encouraged me to
do so ...

> > So by Friday evening all HiColor-icons should appear in CVS.
> > The work on themes  and on the missing locolor-icons
> > will need 3-4 days in addition. The last artist-commit to the
> > CVS will happen on Tuesday evening (August 31st).
> Ok, so where is the problem? I planned to do the tarballs on
> 30th, one day more or less will not make a difference.

How do you know? We really need that time to do only the most essential
 work (while being very busy!).  Our last essential commit  will happen on
Aug. 31st. If sources would be put together 6 days after that day  then we
could  make sure in the time between that everything has been  committed
correctly and nothing is missing. I haven't been able to to test the KDE 1.1.2
-packages myself yet. But I think 2  days after the last commit would be o.k
to check  everything though I would feel much better if I  knew that there
would be some extra time in addition for  any  worst-case-situation.

As nobody forces us to release KDE 1.1.2  prematured (seen
from an artistical point of view) we should release it when it
is done and not at that time when we would like it to be  done. KDE 1.1.2 will
be the last stable release for several (I guess >6-8) months.
And we will be measured by this release.
Also there have been several promises made for this release:

- a complete *consistent*  set of

-  48x48 HiColor-icons,
-  32x32 HiColor-icons,
-  32x32 LoColor-icons,
-  16x16 LoColor-icons
- Themes (including some new ones)  & KThememgr

a release  this weekend would be too close  to  guarantee that we won't
break promises. I could guarantee a 'perfect' release  (IMO - *from the
artistical point of view* ) for the next weekend though.  So let's not do it
too  fast. I have spent  many  hundred hours into this release and me and
several artists here    would really feel  sorrowed if this  would
look prematured now just because of the  lack of one last  additional week that
could be spent on this release without any problems. Especially if you
take into account that this release has been announced as a beauty-release.

Torsten Rahn