List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Unicode - codepages - ???
From:       Werner Trobin <wtrobin () carinthia ! com>
Date:       1999-08-20 15:07:55

Hi!

I'm reading text out of WinWord files. These characters are either
stored as Unicode glyphs or as compressed Unicode characters (my
documenation says Ms Word uses codepage 1252 for that).
I want to read those characters (and if they are compressed covert
them to Unicode).

My questions are: May I use Qt to convert the codepage 1252 chars to
"normal" two byte Unicode chars? What do I have to do? Where do I
get this codepage from? Is it available on every supported platform
in every country, or do I have to write my own "mapper" (from
codepage 1252 to Unicode)?

If that matters: I have access to a Windoze 98 system.

Thank you in advance,
Werner