List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kapptemplate and autoconf
From:       Chris Wiegand <cwiegand () urgentmail ! com>
Date:       1999-07-22 4:28:40

I'm trying to auto[conf|make] geheimnis. I'm currently using a simple
configure script I wrote, along with Makefiles. I've been basically told
that if I don't use autoconf/make then I need to. I really don't like the
attitude that most people that with that, but it's the only show in town.
<sigh> Nonetheless, I'm trying here. I've downloaded and used kapptemplate
0.3.2 and setup a geheimnis folder for it. I then looked at all of the
files, ignored most of them, and went straight for the code. Eventually, I
figured out that I needed to hack the Makefile.am file. Wonderful
documentation.

I've replaced the .cpp and .h files with my own, in the geheimnis
subfolder. I've got three executables my program builds, "geheimnis",
"geheimnis_docked", and "geheimnis_keepopen". The last one is normally
built with a C compiler instead of C++. I'd really like some help with
this, because I would like my users to be able to use my program. Can
someone who knows what they're doing help me?

I've got these files:

main.cpp
misc.cpp
misc.h
kPGPShell.cpp
kPGPShell.h *
kPGPEncrypt.cpp
kPGPEncrypt.h *
kPGPDecrypt.cpp
kPGPDecrypt.h *
kPGPKeys.cpp
kPGPKeys.h *
kPGPSelectKey.cpp
kPGPSelectKey.h *
kPGPProfileEdit.cpp
kPGPProfileEdit.h *
myProfile.cpp
myProfile.h

Then, for geheimnis_docked, I've got:

kPGPDocked.cpp
kPGPDocked.h *

For geheimnis_keepopen, I've got:

keepopen.c

Anything with a * needs to be moc'ed. I think I've hacked the Makefile.am
enough, however, for some reason it's trying to compile the kPGPDocked at
least in part into my main geheimnis executable, thereby failing. Can
someone help me? Can someone PLEASE write documentation? I know that KDE
2 is a long ways off, and those of us who don't write core KDE programs
might want to make 3rd-party type programs, but have no documentation.

Thank you, and I apologize for those of you who've read this far for my
obvious flaming, I've been trying to get this to work and am quite annoyed
that for open source programs, automake/autoconf
is the "real" way to do it.