List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to debug distributed apps?
From:       Werner Trobin <wtrobin () carinthia ! com>
Date:       1999-08-18 11:20:49

"N. Weuster" wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Werner Trobin wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm wondering how to debug distributed applications. I know that I
> > need gdb-4.18, but how do I start the server or how do I contact it
> > after kded has started it? I know that gdb can contact running apps
> > (via their PID) but then I'd have to sleep() in this app for some
> > time (or have a simple infinite loop) to find the correct PID and
> > to launch gdb.
>
> sorry, but I can't catch what you meen exactly, but if you look for any
> nice frontend for gdb, you'll just try
> kdbg or
> ddd
> they are really good.

Sorry, but I was in a hurry while writing the pervious mail :(

My problem is: How to debug an application which is started&killed by
the kded (my app is a KOM-Application -> uses CORBA, therefore I need
gdb-4.18 because 4.17 crashed on CORBA-apps). Due to the kded you can't
just start your app and wait till something happens, because nothing
will happen...ok you can wait, but this won't help debugging your app :)

I know that gdb is able to contact a running process so I added a small
infinite loop. When the kded starts my app I have to contact the right
process and "open" the loop. After that I can start debugging.

Now I thought that there has to be something easier (maybe I'm missing
a command line switch for KOM apps, for kded, or gdb).

Werner