List:       kde-devel
Subject:    State of scripting in KDE
From:       "John R. Zedlewski" <zedlwski () princeton ! edu>
Date:       1999-08-18 4:57:28

I was looking through the "KDEBindings" CVS, when I noticed that virtually
everything in it seems to date to 1998 or earlier.  I downloaded perl-qt, but
it only supports Qt 1.21 or so.  So it got me wondering, what is the state of
scripting in KDE?  I've seen KScript, but the sample scripts don't really show
anything much more complicated than some basic math (not that I'm putting
KScript down, I just don't really know it yet).  So, what, if any, scripting
languages support KDE?  If one or more languages could be made to support both
easy GUI-creation and KOM, it would be a HUGE plus for the project.  Especially
KOM support, because it would instantly make the whole KDE project completely
scriptable.  KScript looks like it was designed for this goal (very IDL-like
syntax), but I've yet to see a KScript example that uses CORBA.  Does that have
something to do with this mysterious "ksidl" binary sitting in my KDE2
directory?
Thanks,
--JRZ