List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Application Server: starting with KConfig/KRegistry
From:       Gabor Szentivanyi <szenti () duticai ! twi ! tudelft ! nl>
Date:       1999-08-17 14:20:26

Hi all,

it's been a while that we made our ideas about the application server
public. There has been several thousand guys that read it, but only few
point of view. The expectation for something that worx is of course
justified, but before we get down to coding I'd like to share some ideas
with you and aks for suggestions, hints.

The idea:
The Appserver has to be started small, there for the first thing we tought
to start with is managing configuration and registry information in KDE,
first locally and then in client/server. There would be a simple CORBA
object model to access config and registry information. The first
implementation would be local with a simple, small object persistence
engine (with simple transaction and query support). As a second step, it
would go client/server, the object persistence engine would go to a
config/registry server. But for performance, there would be a local cache
to it (similar to the CODA filesystem).

The reason:
From what I could see is that configuration, registry, desktop and other
information are scattered along files at different places, having
different APIs (global, or app specific), access patterns etc. With a
consistent CORBA model and a consistent storage facility behind it, all
storage, transaction and query functionality could be easily deployed.

The scope:
We would start with config/registry and Desktop. The first way to go is to
leave the interfaces intact (e.g. KConfig and just change the
implementation below it to be the object persistence engine instead of the
filesystem), or to change the interface to put more semantics to it. The
third of course is to leave it intact for the time being and change the
interface later.

Any suggestions?

Gabor

PS:
for those who don't remember the appserver stuff:
http://dutiem.twi.tudelft.nl

--           Gabor Szentivanyi, G.Szentivanyi@its.tudelft.nl            --
--                Multimedia Information Systems Design                 --
--  Information Technology and Systems, Delft University of Technology  --
---------> http://www.linux.org --- May the source be with you! <---------