List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: linking errors
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-08-14 12:23:49

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999, Arjan Buursink wrote:

> Simon Hausmann wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Arjan Buursink wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I hope someone could help me out here.
> > > When I compile my own program I get the next error message:
> > >
> > > /opt/kde/lib/libkio.so: undefined reference to `openFileManagerWindow(char const *)'
> > >
> > > BTW, I'm using kde 1.1 (from the Suse 6.1 cdrom).  Thanks in advance!
> > >

> > This is a hack from a very old version of libkio. Add an empty
> >
> > void openFileManagerWindow( const char * ) {}
> >
> > somewhere in your code.
> >
> > However it is not recommended to use such an old version of libkio. Better
> > use the current version (which doesn't require you to have this hack btw)
> >
> > Greetings,
> >  Simon
>
> Does that mean that I have to upgrade to current unstable KDE 2?

I wonder why your kde 1.1 contains libkio anyway. That version lacks very
much functionality (for example you don't have the kioslaves -> you cannot
use KIOJob) and it is not used by any application.

However the current version of libkio, as part of kdelibs in the HEAD
branch in CVS, is the way to go if you want to use any of it's cool
features.

KIOJob's are available only for the file protocol, but if you install
kdebase you'll get the other slaves for ftp/http/smb/ldap/gopher/gzip/tar/pop3
as well.

For normal applications it is not recommended to use the KRegistry stuff
directly as it eats tons of memory. The general advice is:

- if you want to use the KRun class or KMimeType/KServiceType you'll need
  to create a Servicetype registry:

  KRegistry::self()->addFactory( new KServiceTypeFactory );
  KRegistry::self()->load();

- if you want to use the KService class to access the installed services,
  you should use the kde daemon. Please read the documentation in
  kdelibs/doc/kded for more information.

If you're afraid of fully switching your normal desktop to the HEAD
branch, then there's still a way to install that stuff and develop for it
but still keeping the old 1.1 desktop running.

I *personally* believe that
 - if you really want to use libkio, then switch now
 - if possible though, wait for the developer-only pre-release 1.89

I hope this helps :-)

Greetings,
 Simon (...who tries to avoid the "KDE 2.0" expression as 2.0 simply
        doesn't exist yet ;-)