List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ANNOUNCE: Heading for KDE 1.1.2 release (Week 12)
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       1999-08-12 15:14:43

Just a thought for future release plans:

> Welcome to week 12 of our release journey.

>      1. Start of release                Week 1
>
>      2. Application Freeze                   4
>
>      3. Translations                         6+x
> ==>
>      4. Source release                       8+x
>
>      5. Final release                        9+x
>
> Current estimate: x = 7 weeks

How about doing it the NASA way ? They have their exact countdown plan
but it's not necessarily in real time. Meaning: the clock is/can be
halted at certain points allowing for buffers in case something makes
problems. "10 minutes to go" could therefore really mean 20 minutes
left.

We wouldn't need to plan those breaks but instead of saying "We are in
week 12" we would be in week 7 (as the arrow indicates). The +x could be
dropped. Counting backwards would be another option. The statement "2
weeks to go" may be more meaningful for some doing the "math" 9-7 after
looking at the plan.

Just an idea,

Harri.