List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: to OP or not to OP
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-08-09 13:38:02

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, David Sweet wrote:

> I'm working on weaving KPlotW and RLab into a single application.  What
> I'm wondering is if using KOM/OP would give any advantage here.  I had
> orignally thought that I would make KPlotW into a part and then wrap RLab
> (a terminal-based app) in a part and they could communicate with each
> other via KOM.  This way the calculations (RLab) and rendering (KPlotW)
> could be performed on different machines!
>
> But...KOM doesn't handle large blocks of data (like the plotting data
> coming from RLab to KPlotW) and remote execution is sort of in limbo.
>
> So...is any other reason to use KOM/OP or should I just go with regular
> widgets?

If you want to make it possible for others to embed your stuff (preferably
as child part in your case I guess) , then I think there's sense in using
OpenParts. (you might perhaps want to have a look at the Browser::View
interface (in kdelibs/corba/idl), as it allows child parts to have several
view specific GUI elements) .

And in addition giving stuff a neat CORBA interface is quite often useful
if it is likely that others will want to use your stuff extensively.

You could for example use the CORBA interface to control your component,
but still doing the real large data transfers differently.

Greetings,
 Simon