List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Konqueror
From:       John Corey <whoop () mtco ! com>
Date:       1999-08-03 17:56:25

I've found a few curious things about konq I was wondering about.

First in the View menu, I'm not showing a checkmark for the current view
type, large icons, small icons, or tree view.  I put three
setItemChecked() calls at the end of the three appropriate slots (not
committed, so nothing permanent :)).  That works for large/small icons,
but the tree view doesn't register the checkmark.  Selecting it a second
time (with the view already in Tree mode), then does put the checkmark.
Then agin all this could be the wrong way of doing it, so is there
another route to take?  Sure it's obvious by looking at the window what
the current mode is, but it's good to be consistent. :)

Next, when splitting the view vertically, it addes the new view at the
bottom of konqueror's window rather than just splitting the current
view.  The horizontal split does split just the current view.  So, I'm
wondering if it's a bug or a design decision.

And to wrap it up, how about a keyboard shortcut to View->Remove view?
As to which combo it's up in the air.  Things like Office apps in
Windows use Ctrl-F4 to close a view/document.  But that isn't consistent
with the rest of Konq's shortcuts, just Ctrl + one letter.  Ctrl-R isn't
taken, sound good?  Also having a graphical way of closing a view would
be handy and more obvious to the new user, perhaps something like knotes
has, just a small X in the titlebar.  Then I noticed Ctrl-C is mapped to
two menu commands, File->Close and Edit->Copy.  Other apps use Ctrl-W
for Close, so that's not too hard to fix.  One last change, any
objections to mapping Escape to View->stop loading?  It's so much easier
in Netscape to use that to select from the menu or toolbar. ;)

If any of these have been discussed, give me a route month/date and I'll
read the archives.  I did find some talk in February (10th - 14th,
subject is "Konqueror issues"), wanting to limiting the number of views
and how apps embed themselves, but not on how they split.  But if I
missed some, just hollar.

That is all for now...
  John