List:       kde-devel
Subject:    CodeWeb update: individual application reuse diagnostics added
From:       Amir Michail <amir () cs ! washington ! edu>
Date:       1999-08-02 21:24:20

Hi,

I have made the following improvements to the Qt/KDE reuse patterns
page:

* a new "application view" shows reuse diagnostics for individual
  applications in the KDE distribution; this can be helpful in identifying
  both conventional and unconventional (possibly buggy) usage of
  KDE classes in your particular application

* reuse rules now show not only those application classes that support
  the rules but also those that violate them; again, this can be helpful
  in spotting reuse errors in applications

* reuse patterns for both KDE-1.1.1 and a recent snapshot
  of KDE-2 are included

I recommend that you use netscape as there are some kfm problems
that I have not cleared up yet in the html page generation. (In particular,
you may get 404 errors in kfm; reload seems to load the page though.)

You can also download the html pages for faster/convenient browsing ---
but make sure you have lots of free disk space (say > 400 megs)!  If
that's not good enough, give me your physical mailing address and I'll
send you free CDs.   (However, since I have a limited budget, please
only ask  for CDs if you really need them due to a slow internet connection
and lack of disk space on your computer.)

Again, the web page containing the Qt/KDE reuse patterns is:
http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/projects/se/www/kde/reuse_patterns

If you encounter any problems or have any questions, please let me
know.  Also, send me an email if I missed your application and you
would like it included in a future data mining analysis.

Thanks,

Amir Michail
amir@cs.washington.edu
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/amir

P.S.  Again, I would like to emphasize that while the statistics and rules
       may be interesting, they are merely ways to find interesting source
       code fragments in application code that may help you learn to reuse
       KDE classes by example and/or discover errors in existing applications.