List:       kde-devel
Subject:    ANNOUNCE: utmp support in konsole, kwrited added
From:       Lars Doelle <lars.doelle () on-line ! de>
Date:       1999-08-01 14:59:26

Lars Doelle wrote:

> Stephan Kulow wrote:
>
> > > Leaves write/wall. True, Franz, a trivial program listening on a pty which
> > > is registered via sessreg for writes and popping up whenever something
> > > comes in, is missing. But this has nothing to do with konsole, since
> > > terminal emulation capabilities are not needed for this purpose, so i didn't
> > > include utmp support at all into konsole.
> > >
> > BTW: I added utempter support which gives you utmp entries for RH and
> > COL.
> > I'm sure, this library will be soon standard in Linux distributions and
> > then
> > you get your utmp entries back :)
> >

> I actually coded this write client outlined above, yesterday.
> Found that kdm is not a good place to hook it in, so this client
> will need to have the ability to stamp the utmp.
>
> I'm aware of the utempter modifications in TEShell. To try it
> out, could you please point me to utempter sources?
>
> Lars

I've just committed kwrited and the required adjustments.
With everything properly in place, you get one pty added to
utmp on session startup and a window popping up whenever
someone write(1)s or wall(1)s to you.

Though the whole construction should compile fine in any
case, you might want to make sure that the utempter library
is properly in place.

See kdebase/konsole/README.utmp for more info.

Lars