List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Usage of 2.0 [Re: LinuxWorld Award and KDE-2.0]
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-07-29 12:53:20

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Steffen Hansen wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
>
> > > Because KDesky uses the KIconContainer, which is a QScrollView. And
> > > unfortunately you can't have a child widget (like the viewport in
> > > QScrollView) "in" a desktop widget (WType_Desktop) .
> >

> > kwin (kwm's decessor) handles such a desktop window _very_very_ well.  There's
> > no performance loss with such a kind of desktop (_if_ KIconContainer handles
> > paint events reasonable fast).
>
> Is this a defect in kwm or will kdesktop _require_ kwin to perform well in
> the future? If this is the case, i'm not sure i'm pleased with it...

I'm sure you will :-) It's the same with krootwm, that can't work with all wms
as well, at least some support is required from the wm (to avoid that the
desktop icons can appear on top of application windows, for example).

kdesktop will, however, use a new LAYER hint which will be part of the new wm
specs I'm currently discussing on wm-specs@gnome.org together with various
other window manager authors. That means it will run fine with at least kwin,
blackbox, fvwm, window maker, E, etc. with more to come.

It's technically impossible to build an integrated desktop using twm, I'm
afraid ;-)

Matthias