List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 1.2-Preview: eyecandy.png
From:       Kurt Granroth <kurt_granroth () email ! mot ! com>
Date:       1999-07-27 16:37:24

Leon Widdershoven wrote:
> Ming Poon wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I was just informed by our UI design team that the word 'Trash' and the
> > Trash icon are trademarks of the Apple Macontish and cannot be used. As
> > Apple can go after us (Corel) legally, we will be changing some of the
> > problematic icons in our version of KDE that may have certain legal
> > implications. For the Trash, we are thinking of using the word Dumpster
> > and a dark green Dumpster icon. Any thought on this icon and stupid
> > trademark issues. Thanks.
>
> How do the Windows people call it? I thougt they also use Trash...

Recycle Bin

> But if Trash is not allowed, Garbage would me more logical, well, at
> least more intuitive. Besides, I didn't know the word Dumpster (nor does
> my dictionary, though it knows what a dump is:), so Dumpster would not be
> optimal for non-native english customers...

I'd go for Garbage, too.  Dumpster *does* make sense to me.. but I could
see how non-native english speakers might be in the dark.

For the record, a "dumpster" is a huge garbage container that you usually
put in an alley (but not always).  They are usually very heavy square metal
containers with a heavy metal lid.  My memory tells me that a common size
for them would be about 2m x 2m x 1.5m  I believe that they can get MUCH
bigger than that in some areas, though...
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth