List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: new "Label" keyword for desktop files...
From:       iglio () fub ! it (Pietro Iglio)
Date:       1999-07-26 13:43:32

At 15.17 26/07/99 +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>Pietro Iglio wrote:
>
>> Disavantage: if a desktop file is missing the Id name, users cannot change
>> the application name in the k-menu. The application id is a much more
critical
>> information than the application name.
>
>Why not? You just have to save the old-name as the Id/AppId. That way the
>effective id doesn't change. Only the name changes.

Sounds like a hack. The AppId is critical, it should be there when the
app is installed, never changed, and removed only when the app is
uninstalled. Having an overloaded semantics for Name and a AppId entry
that appears when Name changes is not the cleanest way to do things, imho.

>But why not use the filename for the Id?

I prefer this solution, but it should be used for all services.
BTW: which services are identified by Name?

-- Pietro