List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: new "Label" keyword for desktop files...
From:       iglio () fub ! it (Pietro Iglio)
Date:       1999-07-26 13:07:10

At 14.48 26/07/99 +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>Bernd Gehrmann wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Pietro Iglio wrote:
>>
>> > Application .desktop files (but what I'm going to say may apply to other
>> > types of desktop files as well) have a "Name" key that is used both as
>> > the system application identifier and as the application name in the
K-menu.

>> Why not use the file name as identifier?
>
>Yes, why can't the file name be used as identifier? That would be much
>simpler wouldn't it?

This was my original proposal talking with Simon Hausmann (kded), and
he objected that Name is already a general identifier for all kinds of
services, not only application .desktop files.

We might have KTrader::findServiceById(QString), but I'm sure that
developers will confuse it with KTrader::findServiceByName(QString).

In other words I'm not happy if for some services we use Name as identifier
and for others (=applications) we use the file name or the AppId entry.
This is why I suggested the Label entry.

-- Pietro