On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Pietro Iglio wrote: [...] > >If the 'Id' field is missing, 'Name' is used instead. > >If you make a modification to the 'Name' field and you don't have an 'Id' > field, > >make sure to write the old name to the 'Id' field and the new name to the > >'Name' field. > > > >Advantage: Better compatible with the current format. > > Disavantage: if a desktop file is missing the Id name, users cannot change > the application name in the k-menu. The application id is a much more critical > information than the application name. > > If we want to use Id or AppId (as Stephan suggests) is fine for me, but > we must somehow enforce that a valid application desktop file has an > AppId entry (for example, kded could issue a warning and fix the desktop > file?). How about: if AppId is empty or missing, use the Name entry (probably the English Name entry). --Stefan