List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC:   Midgard or Zope on the KDE server?
From:       Lars Kneschke <lk () netuse ! de>
Date:       1999-07-26 12:17:57

Boris Povazay wrote:

> The KDE-Standard-Website-Project is currently going full-steam ahead.
>
> Right now we are facing a problem with the use of templates. Since KDE
> (kfm) is not supporting HTML4.0 in every detail (as all the other
> browsers do), it is impossible to include external Textfragments in the
> straight-forward way of using the <OBJECT DATA="include.html"> feature.
>
> There exist other ways, apart of a feature change in KDE, to achieve
> this:
>    The fist is the idea of L.widdershoven@fz-juelich.de, who tries to
> include these with a tiny program (see: KreateProjectHomepage at
> http://ipp387.ipp.kfa-juelich.de/~leon)
>    The second is to use an application server like Midgard (strongly
> advocated by Henri.Bergius@iki.fi) or Zope, which are both released
> unter the GPL (in different flavors) and would allow to modify content
> via a web-interface by the developer (user).
I´m personally interested in Zope, because i read some nice things about
it.
There is also a articel at http://www.heise.de/ix/artikel/1999/08/064/
about Zope.
(in german only) It looks very interesting.

> The later would recommend to have the application server installed
> centrally (at the kde-site: http://devel-home.kde.org/) which could be
> mirrored to other sites.
> This does have some benefits (easy, independent manipulation of design
> and content, web interface...) but also some drawbacks (central
> organisation, centralized traffic, no basic HTML,...)
>
> Now I wonder if there exists the ability and interest to host maintain
> and use such a system.
I could help to administer it, because i work at a internet provider.

--
Lars Kneschke
NetUSE Kommunikationstechnologie GmbH