List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: themes -- backing out thereof
From:       John Corey <whoop () mtco ! com>
Date:       1999-07-26 3:26:12

dep wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 1999, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
>
> |Woops! You really screwed up your installation. .kde/share/bin *can't*
> |exist!!!
>
> really. i thought it was odd, but then i read this from the sams kde
> 1.1 book, p. 61:
>
> "The bin and boot subdirectories are copies of other directories on
> your Linux system. The KDE programs use these subdirectories as local
> copies of system files.
> "-- The boot directory is a copy of the /boot directory, and contains
> items such as the system map and and the initial boot message used by
> LILO when starting your computer.
> "-- The bin directory contains several dozen standard utility
> programs, most of which are located in /usr/local/bin. These include
> such utilities as rpm, gzip, cp, and mount.
> "These programs can be used by KDE programs without concern for
> permission restrictions that might interfere with the use of the
> corresponding system files. Unfortunately, these copies might use
> about 5MB of space in your home directory.  The directory size might
> grow as you continue to use various KDE programs."
>
> so, then -- this is in error? in that it *can't* exist, i just
> deleted it. hope you're right.

Wow, where'd the get that?  My KDE 1.1 ~/.kde only has a "share" folder,
with configuration and stuff in it.  I'd have to say the author might
have had a wee bit too much to drink that night or something...

> |What you're talking about? Getting rid of a theme by copying even more
> |files? Why don't you simply delete your .kde/share/icons/* files?
>
> because that did not solve the problem.
>
> |A! If you installed themes as root, then this is explainable. But it's all
> |your fault. The theme manager acts very carfully to this extent.
>
> excuse me? i can make no sense of the paragraph above. the thememgr
> acts very carefully to *what* extent? if it's inadvisable for the
> root user to use a theme, don't you suppose it would be a good idea
> to say so someplace? and so far as i can tell, it does not act at all
> carefully to any extent.

Well, in the sense that you shouldn't do much (if anything) as root.
It's best to just su to root, do what you need from the command line,
and get out.  But I guess as more users get into this Linux thing, they
won't like the cmd line so much.