List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Strange hangs with KDE 1.1 (KPanel)
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-07-25 18:26:29

Daniel Naber wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Johannes Mueller wrote:
>
> > On my system (P100 80mb SuSE Linux 6.1, Kernel 2.2.5 XFree86 3.3.3)
> > it always occurs when I click an Icon on the desktop of which the letters of
> > the name are "near" (1-3 pixels) to the edge of the panel or several letters
>
> Okay, it seems the problem is in kfm/root.cpp (~ line 1516):
>
>         p2.drawText( textXOffset, textYOffset, file );

I think I found the place where it *crashes*, but itīs not the real
problem. And I donīt know at the moment how exactly that is related to
the above but somehow it has to. Ok here is the backtrace(run kfm with
-sync):

#0  KRootIcon::resizeEvent (this=0x81d60a8) at root.cpp:1575
#1  0x80b3fa7 in KRootIcon::update (this=0x81d60a8) at root.cpp:1832
#2  0x80b3f6f in KRootIcon::select (this=0x81d60a8, _select=true) at
root.cpp:1825
#3  0x80b3238 in KRootIcon::mousePressEvent (this=0x81d60a8,
_mouse=0xbffff1d8) at root.cpp:1644
#4  0x401eb80a in QWidget::event ()
#5  0x401afc40 in QApplication::notify ()
#6  0x402605d6 in QETWidget::translateMouseEvent ()
#7  0x4025e419 in QApplication::x11ProcessEvent ()
#8  0x4025df67 in QApplication::processNextEvent ()
#9  0x4025edc9 in QApplication::enter_loop ()
#10 0x4025dee5 in QApplication::exec ()
#11 0x8082247 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffff724) at main.cpp:373

The line where it crashes is:
XShapeCombineMask( x11Display(), winId(), ShapeBounding, 0, 0,
mask.handle(), ShapeSet );

And this seems to me to fit perfectly to the symptoms i.e. an internal
X11 error resulting in a complete XServer crash.

My guess is that thereīs probably something wrong with the mask.

But I have also no time at the moment to dig into this further, as I
have an exam tomorrow, but maybe after this.(If I donīt get too
frustrated and have to drink the whole evening :)

Good luck, if someone tries!

Greets

Michael

Btw:
While experimenting with root icon thing happend to KDE hang twice. Itīs
the first time on my Linux box at home! The only thing different is that
special icon near to the panel. So maybe it is related. Anyway, I was
still able to do Ctrl-Alt-F* and
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and, although nothing seemed able to repaint itself,
kpm did still update itīs processlist!! Killing of stuff did help
nothing. I killed everything until only kwm was left over.
/me clueless

--
Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology