At 09.39 23/07/99 -0400, pbrown@redhat.com wrote: >On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Pietro Iglio wrote: > >> >Have you thought about how apps should add themselves to the menu during >> >installation? Up till now it was enough to put the .desktop file in the >> >right directory. >> >> Using batch features of the menu editor (that I'll add). >> For example, assuming that the .desktop files have been copied in the right >> dir: >> >> kmenueditor --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/ >> kmenueditor --remove Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/ >> kmenueditor --move Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/ MyUtils/ > >I think this is a very bad idea again. Am I alone? > >This is getting rather needlessly complex and messy. > >> A menurc file looks like: >> >> MenuItems=Konsole,Kvt >> HiddenItems=Trashcan >> AddedItems=Kvt > > Forgive me for butting in on this, I have been following though. > > All of these different merging schemes that have been discussed seem like > horrible, messy hacks to me. Am I the only one who thinks this way? > We are really bastardizing things. About the feature: It seems that the "unified menu" is something users were waiting for, according to the feedback on this list. I don't like the current "global/personal" menu, and to my experience I have seen unexpert users having difficulties even with the WinNT menu system. The ability to organize a menu as you can organize your documents is a very nice feature. If you use KDE on a stand-alone machine, for example, you fell very comfortable. About the implementation: The idea of separating the menu structure from the a desktop file position is a very good one, because allows different users have the same applications in different positions without adding new keys to the desktop files. If you can suggest a better one, you are welcome. I don't think that it is possible to satisfy the same requirements in a simpler manner, however. In the GUI world, "simpler for the users" means "harder for developers" :) - Pietro