List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Strange hangs with KDE 1.1 (KPanel)
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-07-24 12:35:32

Johannes Mueller wrote:

> Hi ...
>
> although I'm not a subsctiber of that list I read the archive sometimes.
> I can report a similar problem of KDE 1.1.x
>
> > For some time now once in a while KDE completely hangs. Nothing
> > works, not even magic keys like CTRL-ALT-BCKSP, CTRL-ALT-F1,
> > CTRL-ALT-DEL. It was until now always completely inexplicable. I
> > never had a single clue what went wrong.
I experienced the hanging on some slooow old Sparcs at work. Same
symptoms. Never on the faster Solaris boxes there nor on my Linux
box(AMD K6-2 300, 128MB) at home. But one thing I noticed is that the
system starts working again if I wait long enough.
And AFAIK I donīt have icons aligning directly at the panel(panel is on
top) and it often hangs right after startup when I havenīt had any
chance to click on an icon, so the below described actually canīt be the
cause of these hangs.

> On my system (P100 80mb SuSE Linux 6.1, Kernel 2.2.5 XFree86 3.3.3)
> it always occurs when I click an Icon on the desktop of which the letters of
> the name are "near" (1-3 pixels) to the edge of the panel or several letters
> last out of the screen far left, when the panel is not there. (I always have
> the panel on the left side of the desktop). If you change the name of the
> kdelnk so that the letters are completly on the screen or not near the panel
> edge the problem does not occor. Not either when the letters reach under the
> panel...
>
> Sometimes only the X-Server crashes with signal 11, but sometimes it hangs.
> The only possibility to get control over the computer is to log in by remote
> and kill a process "Xwrapper :0" then I can do a init 2 and init 3 to get
> kdm-login back. But the consoles (CTRL-ALT-F(1-6)) are completle messed up.
> (rainbow colors on the screen, no joke)
Though Iīm not sure if that is the same problem as the one responsible
for the hanging I can confirm that. See
http://www.wh1.tu-dresden.de/~reiherm/crash.gif for an example(note: the
"P" starts at the pixel directly next to the panel). On mouse down at
the icon KDE crashes reliably. But it "only" crashes. It does neither
hang nor leave messed up consoles.
Looks like a krootwm problem, or?

Michael

--
Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology