List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Strange hangs with KDE 1.1 (KPanel)
From:       "Pascal Georges" <p_george () club-internet ! fr>
Date:       1999-07-23 16:41:41

> For some time now once in a while KDE completely hangs. Nothing
> works, not even magic keys like CTRL-ALT-BCKSP, CTRL-ALT-F1,
> CTRL-ALT-DEL. It was until now always completely inexplicable. I
> never had a single clue what went wrong.

I have also the same problem. Sometimes, after clicking on different
widgets,
(especially when playing with the root window menus) and
without waiting their response, the WM seems frozen, except the mouse.
Sometimes, a right click will bring back everything.

I don't know if the kernel, X, or the WM is responsible for that, but IMHO :

1. - user interface stability is as important as the kernel one : without a
network, you
can't kill processes cleanly, and the result is as bad as the (in)famous
blue screen;
2. - even if the system is on high load, the user interface should give the
highest priority
to events from the user, in order to avoid those jumpy mouse moves.

The only times I had to reboot Linux uncleanly was these last months, using
kwm or
with games that would not shutdown after hanging the display (using a 3dfx).
With twm, olvwm, etc. , I have never had this problem.

I am sorry not to be able to give more help concerning this problem, but as
KDE is
a really great project, it should be perfect :-)