List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RFC: kdeui/KSliderControl
From:       "Dirk A. Mueller" <dmuell () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-07-23 13:56:19

Hi,

I've added KSliderControl to kdeui (HEAD). The initial idea for it came
from Patrick Dowler, but I've modified it quite extensively. It now
uses a QSpinBox and a QSlider and is therefore easier to use for the
user than before. The interface hasn't much changed.

If you're looking for example applications that now use this class,
look at

kdebase/kcontrol/input/kcminput
kdebase/kcontrol/bell/kcmbell

for my personal opinion the spinbox is currently a bit too large.

but it can be used at very many places in almost every configuration
dialog. It can replace most usages of KSlider and all usages of
KIntLineEdit and still simplifying the code a bit.

Well, KSlider will die soon (replaced by QSlider), the problem is with
KIntLineEdit/KFloatLineEdit. The first one is obsoleted by
KSliderControl. Using an edit widget where a spinbox would be better
is definitely a bad GUI design decision, so I'd like to remove that.

The only problem is KFloatLineEdit. Although it is afaik nowhere used
up to now, it can handle double (although the class name says float)
numbers, which KSliderControl currently can't. There comes request for
comments:

should we
a) remove KFloatLineEdit (nowhere used)
b) inherit KSliderControl to handle floats as well
c) remove K*LineEdit && KSliderControl and replace it with a new class
that has a better name, handles integers and float and has an optional
QSlider? If yes, what name would be better than KSliderControl?

Anyway, it's imho a first step to clean up between the different
implementation ideas that are currently used and put a easy to use but
still powerful implementation into kdeui, thereby removing all the
other code bloat.

Any comments welcome.

--
Dirk A. Mueller