List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KStdDirs, named levels.
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-07-23 13:42:11

Pietro Iglio wrote:
> > Have you thought about how apps should add themselves to the menu during
> > installation? Up till now it was enough to put the .desktop file in the
> > right directory.
>
> Using batch features of the menu editor (that I'll add).
> For example, assuming that the .desktop files have been copied in the right
> dir:
>
> kmenueditor --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
> kmenueditor --remove Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
> kmenueditor --move Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/  MyUtils/
>
> If we introduce naming for levels (think about that!):
>
> kmenueditor --level=local --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
> kmenueditor --level=global --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
> kmenueditor --level=math_lab --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/
> kmenueditor --level=students_lab --add Konsole.desktop MyUtils/Shell/

We can make it like:

export KDEDIRS=/usr/local/kde:(distrib)/usr/kde/:(math_lab)/home/math/kde:(students)/home/students/kde:$HOME/.kde

The first entry always defaults to (global), the last entry always defaults to
(local). Names are optional.

(distrib) is reserved for distributions. E.g. third party packages should install
in (global), if it comes along with your distribution it should install in (distrib).

It's up to the distributors to come up with sensible paths for KDEDIRS.

I would also like to make this info available via URLs.

E.g. apps://localhost/MyUtils/Shell lists all installed shells of the current user.
     apps:/MyUtils/Shell does the same.
     apps://distrib@localhost/MyUtils/Shell lists all shells as provided by the
distributor.
     apps://local@localhost/MyUtils/Shell lists all shells made by the user \
him/herself.

Hm....

Actually you want to be able to specify a username here as well...

So that root can have a look at apps://bastian@localhost/MyUtils/Shell and can
see which shells I have installed.

How to distinguish between a 'level'-name and a 'user'-name??

Cheers,
Waldo
--
The "gui" in "Penguin" is pronounced "K-D-E"