List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: My wish for KDE 2
From:       "=?iso-8859-1?q?Jens_B=E4ckman?=" <czw () home ! se>
Date:       1999-07-22 22:58:04

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 14:00:31 +0200, Stefan van den Oord wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Jens B ckman wrote:
>> Hi to you all. This is a feature wish - I posted it here, since it
>> seems to make the most sense here. Alright, get on with it!
>>
>> Probably all of you know about the way you manage links between a file
>> type and a program: you link the file to the program. Well, excuse me,
>> but isn't this a little bit stupid? For example, let's take a standard
>> Java source code file. If you associate this to Emacs, you can edit it
>> by clicking on it, but you have to resort to a command line to compile
>> it.
>>
>> To solve this problem, why not do the other way around - link the
>> programs to the files? Lets say that I create three program objects:
>> "Edit Java code", "Compile Java code" and "Generate docs from Java
>> code". Then I associate all of these to *.java and can select a default
>> (like Edit) that activates on SC/DC (user settings, please) and choose
>> any of the other two from a popout menu (Open with ->). If anyone on
>> this list have ever seen OS/2 in action, you probably know what I mean
>> by this.
>>
>> Now, is this possible to implement in an easy way?
>
>If I understand you correctly, this can already be done, even in KDE
>1.1. You can create an application in the applnk directory
>(kfm->edit->applications) named "Compile Java code" and give it the
>correct command line. Also, you assign the mimetype for java source
>files to it. And in the mimetypes folder (kfm->edit->mimetypes) you
>can assign the default action for Java source files. Just clicking on
>a Java source file executes the default action, and clicking with the
>right mouse button gives a popup menu that contains all possible
>actions. This is what you mean, right?

Yep, that's right. Darn, I didn't know about that. This brings another
thing up: a tutorial for KDE that comes up the first time you start it,
which shows how you copy a file, start applications and other basic
stuff (and this would probably end up in the Advanced section). A
function like this would probably annoy the hell out of experienced KDE
users, but newcomers like me and my mom would love this. Another step
towards world dominations, gentlemen, or maybe just a push in the
ease-of-use direction for Linux.