List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDM compile error (Was: ANNOUNCE: Heading for KDE 1.1.2 release)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-07-22 16:22:28

Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel wrote:
> TODO: Test the KDE_1_1_BRANCH
>
> Now that the code is frozen, please check it out and test it
> on as many machines and OSes as possible to ensure everything
> is working.

The Error
=========

make.3.71[3]: Entering directory `/home/bastian/src/kde/kdebase/kdm'
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/home/bastian/kde/include \
                -I/home/bastian/src/kde/qt-1.44/include
-I/usr/openwin/include    -g -Wall -c genauth.c
genauth.c: In function `GenerateAuthData':
genauth.c:138: too few arguments to function `gettimeofday'
make.3.71[3]: *** [genauth.o] Error 1

The Code
========

genauth.c:52
#ifndef X_GETTIMEOFDAY
#define X_GETTIMEOFDAY(t) gettimeofday(t)
#endif

genauth.c:135
   {
	struct timeval  now;

	X_GETTIMEOFDAY (&now);
	ldata[0] = now.tv_sec;
	ldata[1] = now.tv_usec;
    }

The OS
======

Machine hardware:   sun4u
OS version:         5.5.1
Processor type:     sparc
Hardware:           SUNW,Ultra-5_10

The man-page
============

NAME
     gettimeofday, settimeofday - get or set the date and time

SYNOPSIS
     #include <sys/time.h>

     int gettimeofday(struct timeval *tp, void * );

     int settimeofday(struct timeval *tp, void * );

MT-LEVEL
     MT-Safe

DESCRIPTION
     gettimeofday() gets and  settimeofday()  sets  the  system's
     notion  of  the current time.  The current time is expressed
     in elapsed seconds and microseconds  since  00:00  Universal
     Coordinated  Time,  January  1, 1970.  The resolution of the
     system clock is hardware dependent; the time may be  updated
     continuously or in clock ticks.

     tp points to a timeval structure, which includes the follow-
     ing members:

          long    tv_sec;    /* seconds since Jan. 1, 1970 */
          long    tv_usec;   /* and microseconds */

     If tp is a null pointer, the current time information is not
     returned or set.

     The TZ environment variable  holds  time  zone  information.
     See TIMEZONE(4).

     The second argument  to  gettimeofday()  and  settimeofday()
     should be a pointer to NULL.

     Only the privileged user may set the time of day.

SEE ALSO
     adjtime(2), ctime(3C), TIMEZONE(4)

RETURN VALUES
     A -1 return value indicates that an error occurred and errno
     has been set.

ERRORS
     The following error codes may be set in errno:

     EINVAL              tp specifies an invalid time.

     EPERM               A user other than  the  privileged  user
                         attempted to set the time or time zone.

SunOS 5.5.1         Last change: 13 Sep 1994                    1

The Conclusion

Seems we need an extra #ifdef here...

Cheers,
Waldo
--
The "gui" in "Penguin" is pronounced "K-D-E"