List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch for kwm (urgent)
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-07-21 20:42:22

Matthias Ettrich wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got some mail and even read in some newsgroups that some people "complain"
> about kwm's placement system.
>
> Problem: when a window or a user specifies a geometry outside the visible
> screen area (for example under the taskbar or under the panel), kwm replaced it
> according to the user's placement policy.
>
> I considered this a pretty fancy behaviour, unfortunately, most of the users
> didn't understand it but claimed that kwm ignores placement completely :-(
>
> The patch below (which I want to commit to the KDE_1_1_BRANCH) will fix this
> problem. A window with any placement hint (uspos or ppos) will just be moved
> into the visible area. So you can still do things like
>
>        xclock -geom -1-1
>
> to get a clock in the bottom/right corner of screen.
>
> The patch also fixes the problem when a maximized netscape is restarted.
> Netscape restores the size correctly but uses a strange topleft position. kwm
> used to obey this setting. With the patch, however, the window is moved
> correctly to where it belongs.
>
> Please have a look at it and test it.
>
> Matthias

I just updated my 1.1 branch kde to the current CVS. And since then new
Netscape windows always appear in the top left corner(if there is no
panel or taskbar, the windows are a bit offset). I not sure if the
problem is related to that fix. But the window placement worked just
fine before.
IIRC Netscape calculates the positions of its windows itself and if kwm
follows these values they always are a bit offset from the border. As
kwm had to follow these hints, this already was a problem some time ago
because of some Java dialogs, right? This was changed then so that
Netscape(or other windows that provide the postion hint itself) were
placed after current placement policy, or am I wrong here? Anyway, at
least from my point of view, everything was fine until at least 1.1.1.
But now kwm seems to follows these hints again, places all Nestcape
windows in the top left corner and ignores the current policy. Thatīs
annoying.
Is it possible to make the Netscape window positons taken care of by kwm
again?

Greets

Michael

--
Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology