List:       kde-devel
Subject:    My wish for KDE 2
From:       "=?iso-8859-1?q?Jens_B=E4ckman?=" <czw () home ! se>
Date:       1999-07-21 21:30:00

Hi to you all. This is a feature wish - I posted it here, since it
seems to make the most sense here. Alright, get on with it!

Probably all of you know about the way you manage links between a file
type and a program: you link the file to the program. Well, excuse me,
but isn't this a little bit stupid? For example, let's take a standard
Java source code file. If you associate this to Emacs, you can edit it
by clicking on it, but you have to resort to a command line to compile
it.

To solve this problem, why not do the other way around - link the
programs to the files? Lets say that I create three program objects:
"Edit Java code", "Compile Java code" and "Generate docs from Java
code". Then I associate all of these to *.java and can select a default
(like Edit) that activates on SC/DC (user settings, please) and choose
any of the other two from a popout menu (Open with ->). If anyone on
this list have ever seen OS/2 in action, you probably know what I mean
by this.

Now, is this possible to implement in an easy way?