List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Krash release (was Re: last style from Mosfet)
From:       Steve Hutton <shutton () bellsouth ! net>
Date:       1999-07-20 1:20:40

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Stefan van den Oord wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> > Those of us that work with the core stuff do use cvs[up].. but I'm sure
> > that most "KDE application" developers would much prefer a release as it
> > implies that some things are stable and their work wouldn't be wasted.
>
> As a non-"official" developer and application developer, I can
> confirm that this is true...

Yes, this is how I feel as well.  I would like to port my app to 2.0,
and I just now got up the nerve to download and compile everything
with cvsup ;-)  I can't speak to whether an alpha release by date xxx
is doable, but I tend to agree that it would attract interest from non-core
developers.

Also, don't forget that Linux is growing rapidly still and gains new C++
programmers as users every day.  Some of these people might like
to code for KDE 2.0, but it's not on their radar yet...maybe a developer's
release gets their attention...maybe it could come with a Kom/Open Parts
tutorial, too ;-)

Steve