List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Krash release (was Re: last style from Mosfet)
From:       Matthias Elter <me () main-echo ! net>
Date:       1999-07-19 15:30:01

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Bernd Gehrmann wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > DISCLAIMER:
> > Developers shouldn't count on application which work with 'Krash' will
> > work with 2.0 (Kopernicus) as well though. It's just that the conversion
> > from 'Krash' to 'Kopernicus' should be relative easy.
>
> How long is the time between Krash and Kopernicus? 4 months?
> Half a year? If I port my application to Krash, this means
> that I cannot release anything for users for several
> months. Why should I do that? (except for my own pleasure ;-)

I see no sence in a Krash release. Non-"official" developers (as Kurt called
them ;) can download the snapshot in case they want to port their stuff to the
(not stable) 2.0 API. Users should not try a technology preview like Krash,
because it won't catch up with their expectations. But I'm 100% sure that lots
of people are going to try Krash if we release binaries. Do you really want
that? And by the way, trying to get the HEAD branch "pseudo-stable" for that
Krash release is contra-productive...why waste time with bugfixes if the API is
still in move and new bugs are going to be made?

Just my 2 cents,
Matthias :-)

--
Matthias Elter