List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Debugging corrupted QStrings?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-07-19 10:31:15

Jan Ekholm wrote:

> Has anybody any good ideas as to how I could debug corrupted QStrings? I
> seem to 'loose' that data in some random QStrings, so that the 'data()'
> method dumps. With 'gdb' I get the information that the actual shared data
> in the string is invalid, but I have no idea as to when and where it gets
> corrupted. I have no idea which string get corrupted a given run, as there
> are ~200 possible strings, so I can't put watches on all of them...
>
> Has anybody had this (or a similar) problem before and solved it in a nice
> way?

You might want to try to link against Electric Fence (add -lefence to a
strategic position in your Makefile). You need quite a lot of memory/swap
to get things going but it causes your program to segfault when some wild
pointer gets dereferenced. Very usefull to find those hard to track problems.

Thanks Bruce :)

Cheers,
Waldo